(Banner picture: Dust City Diner 2012, Photo by Ana Grillo)
Our aim was to connect the virgins to the seasoned Burners in the South Bay region for better orientation/preparation for the playa… and get the Burner community to reconnect & cross-pollinate for a richer experience! And it was a great success! We had about 45 fabulous seasoned burners & newbies participate in the BBQ; our ~20 virgins had a chance to learn what to expect on their journey to Black Rock City, ask questions, and grow more confident in their ability to not just survive, but thrive at Burning Man.
This year’s activities included:
- Newbie Survival guide: Two 30-min workshops for newbies on the tried-and-true survival tips to prepare for the desert
- Theme Camp Speed Dating: Four South Bay Theme Camps talked to the newbies and match up with the type of playa camp that most appeals to them (confirmed camps so far: Ali Bar Bar, Journeylizm, Playfully Yours, & Southbay Art Collective)
- Camping Equipment Exchange & Costume X-Change: Newbies found coolers, tents, chairs & loads of costumes to take home!
- Tie-Dye Station: PartySnail Mutant Vehicle provided an awesome tie-dye station, which included T-Shirt/Dye/and instructions ($10 suggested donation) to make your own colorful Tshirt creation
- Hygiene Drive: As part of Burners without Borders local effort, Manea collected travel-size of one or more of these items: soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, razor & shaving cream, to create kits and donate to CityTeam chapter of San Jose
- AliBarBar had a fun raffle for the upcoming Jul 22nd fundraiser
Few Pictures from the event:
Schedule of events:
- 11:00am Start of the event
- 11:30am – 12:15noon Newbie-Workshop #1
- 12:30 – 3:30pm Tie-Dye station
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm Theme-Camp Speed-dating
- 2:30pm -3:15pm Newbie-Workshop #2
- 3:30pm Close of event (cleanup/Leave No Trace)
What to bring with you to the BBQ:
- Something to grill or feed 3-4 people (plus whatever you need to be comfy)
- Charcoal, Ice, Water/Beverages, snacks, bring your own cup
- Loved-it-but-over-it playawear for the Costume Exchange
- Gently used camping equipment for the Equipment Exchange
- Info about your Theme Camp to share with the newbies
- Don’t forget to wear sunscreen/hats to protect your beautiful self
- Bring frisbee, games, dog, friends
We’re looking for Theme-Camp engagement & volunteers to help us create a fabulous experience! Contact us directly us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below.
pARTicipate in the Newbie BBQ Event!