(Banner picture: Dust City Diner 2012, Photo by Ana Grillo)
A summer South Bay Burner Picnic has become a tradition for the past several years. We’ve called it the BBQ-A-Newbie picnic, and it’s certainly a way for virgins to get some playa orientation. This is a get-together is for the entire community, and we’re continuing the “Theme Camp Speed Dating” activity this year. No, it’s not about finding a hook-up hottie for the playa; the idea is to have many of our 60 South Bay Theme Camps (www.southbayburners.org/sbb-theme-camps/) talk to the newbies and match up campers with the type of playa camp that most appeals to them.
If your Theme-camp is accepting newbies, we’d love for you or a representative from your camp to pARTicipate! Fill out the Volunteer form or contact us directly.
We also will host Costume Exchange (give a second life to your favorite playawear) and Camping Equipment Exchange (old coolers, outgrown tents, things you don’t use anymore because you’ve upgraded).
WHAT TO BRING:
– Something to grill or feed 3-4 people
– Loved-it-but-over-it playawear for the Costume Exchange
– Gently used camping equipment for the Equipment Exchange
– Info about your Theme Camp to share with the newbies
This year’s activities includes:
- Newbie Survival guide: Two 30-min workshops for newbies on the tried-and-true survival tips to prepare for the desert
- Theme Camp Speed Dating: Four South Bay Theme Camps talked to the newbies and match up with the type of playa camp that most appeals to them
- Camping Equipment Exchange & Costume X-Change: Newbies found coolers, tents, chairs & loads of costumes to take home!